I’m not talking about the force that keeps us tethered to the ground. I’m talking about gravity, as in seriousness.
Let me explain. Usually when I go out to photograph it is a very serious undertaking indeed. I get up quite early to shoot in the ‘good light’ and take a backpack of equipment carefully chosen based on where I plan on going and what I am hoping to try to make images of. For the most part, all of my ‘serious’ photographs are made with a tripod that is placed after careful deliberation and experimentation. I usually go out alone, as I don’t know all that many people that are into photography.
I had a very different experience a few days ago, which, in many ways, was like a breath of fresh air.
I have always hoped that perhaps one of my three children would develop an interest in either nature or photography so that as I, and they, get older, we might enjoy going on photographic trips, or at least hiking, together. Well, so far it sure isn’t happening, at least not yet and at least not with the two older ones.
So I decided the time was ripe to give my seven year old daughter a try. I have several waterfall pictures hanging in my home, and she has drawn crayon pictures of me taking photographs of the waterfalls. Several times in the past, I had asked her if she wanted to go with me to where I take these pictures and see the real waterfall, but she has always said no. Well, on this particular day, she had no friends over and I told her that if we went not only would we see waterfalls, but we could both take little point and shoot cameras and she could take her very own pictures of the falls. Reluctantly, she agreed.
In a moment, I will tell you how she liked it, but first let me get to the real reason I am writing this. I wanted to take her because I wanted to see the happiness on her face at seeing her first real waterfall and to give her the opportunity to take her own photographs. In my mind, the only reason I was bringing a point and shoot camera was to take pictures of my daughter. From the standpoint of taking any photographs of the park……well, the camera was small and cheap, the light was terrible with direct, harsh, overhead sun, and I had photographed this particular area so many times I was sure that there would be nothing that I would find particularly interesting photographically.
Yes, I took plenty of quick snaps of my daughter. But something else also happened. Walking around with just a little camera at the absolute wrong time of day was, well maybe exhilarating is too strong a word, but it was really fun. Maybe it was because I felt like I didn’t have to try to find nice shots. Maybe I didn’t even make any nice shots….but the point is that I didn’t care. The light was bright and harsh…….fine, I saw some harsh shadows that were nice to take some shots of. Everywhere I looked I started seeing things that I could just take some quick shots of to see if it ‘worked’. I even decided to tuck away a number of ideas that I had for when I did come back with a ‘serious’ camera. There was something uplifting and freewheeling about just going at the wrong time and trying to make ‘lemonade out of lemons’. I am starting to think that going out in this fashion might actually be very beneficial at those times when one seems to hit a creative ‘brick wall’ and nothing seems to flow. I am going to give it a try the next time I am in that dreaded zone. It certainly couldn’t hurt.
Oh, and by the way, my daughter had a great time and wants to go back. I don’t know if she will develop a love of photography and be my ‘photo buddy’ or not….…but here is the devious trick I used to try to bring her one step closer to making that happen. Several times she would stop and ask, “Dad, is it OK if I take a picture of that?” To which I replied, “Sure you can. You can take pictures of anything you want. That is one of the really nice things about photography…...there are no rules!” Hopefully, music to a child’s ears. I will report back in ten years and let you know whether or not it worked!















9 comments:
Great post!! I also have a daughter,(14mth). I can not wait to share the photo/nature experience with her. Thanks for sharing.
I can relate quite well to your description of the gravity that falls upon us. Quite often, if I don't have my 'big camera', tripod, and assortment of 'good lenses', I feel inadequately prepared. This happens a lot on vacations. I have been considering buying an 'all in one' zoom that I can just carry around with me when I go on walks with my wife and my dog in our park. (Right now I just don't bring anything because I have been weighed down by an 'all or nothing' attitud - and would rather just enjoy the walk). Not that every walk needs to be turned into a photo hunting expedition, but it would be nice just to bring it a long once in awhile.
So I think there is a lot to be said for shedding the gear, being able to move freely, think freely, and not let that gravity weigh you down. Perhaps we will discover something we can later go back and technique the heck out of it. :-)
I hope your daughter develops the bug!
I found the same freedom with a Holga. I had been working with medium format camera and tripod for a long time. It was all beginning to feel staid. I went out with the Holga and had no expectations. Such freedom! I now have 3 bodies of work made with a holga.....ya, never know!
Mark, I have the exact same issue as you in that I always feel that unless I am out with my best equipment it is almost not worth taking the shot because it won't be as sharp, as able to be enlarged etc. It is a hard mindset to break, but that is why I bought a smaller point and shoot...so i could bring it with me and have a camera all the time (I got a small Canon Digital Elf series that fits in a pocket).
I still find myself frequently in the same mindset, despite knowing that lots of great images have been published and taken with small cameras. I think it is part of the personality associated with being a perfectionist that is hard to shake.....the part that works against you.
Billie, I really would like to try both Holga and pinhole photography. The part that has kept me from it is the idea of developing the film and scanning it in. I supppose I could send it out for development or even try one of the Holga or pinhole lenses or caps that are sold for digital cameras, though I have heard they are not quite the same effect.
Grab a simple point and shoot digital compact, grab a kid, and shoot, shoot, shoot! Brilliant to know that (1) you don't have any film to spend money on developing, (2) you don't have any limits on the number of photographs you take, really, and (3) you are sharing time with your child that will mean so much in the future.
Speaking as an ex-child, who was introduced to photography by my Dad with a simple point and shoot B&W at the age of 7 I think, it meant so much then and has blossomed into a hobby that is such great fun! My daughter has also adopted the hobby, with my cast-off digital point and shoot. What a privilege!
That "breath of fresh air" hit me last week, when I finally decided to go at it light and free while on a little 4 mile hike.
One camera, one lens, nothing else.
It was needed!
I can relate to the 'gravity' of it...sometimes it's nice to simply enjoy the day without the self imposed pressure to 'get the shot.' I've found myself feeling guilty at times for not wanting to lug my heavy equipment around, or crawl around on the ground for that great shot, or whatever it is I 'should' be doing. It's nice to just BE sometimes, and I even on occasion (gasp)leave my camera in the car and go rock-hounding.
Kudos for sharing this amazing world with your daughter. I'd like to see some of her photos! ;-)
I guess I'm the odd man out here, because I almost always "shoot light." 90% of my photos are from just walking out my front door and walking around with a camera and nothing else.
Of course, you've all got better shots than I do, so maybe I should start carring more stuff and planning more. :)
Post a Comment