May 23, 2007

The Twin Jewels Project: Color In Motion

Yup, another Twin Jewels project post. I have written about the project several times before, but if you haven't read about it and would like to know more, you can check it out here.

However, this Twin Jewels post lacks the certainty and self-assuredness of my prior ones. Why? Because I am having difficulty evaluating a photograph that I am considering including as part of the project. Therefore, any honest and constructive input is truly appreciated.

The image is entitled, at least tentatively, "Color In Motion".



"Color In Motion"
Copyright Howard Grill

I took this photograph on a Spring morning, while the wind was blowing. What originally attracted me to the scene were the very saturated colors in the yellow buds on the short plants as well as the reds and yellows in the leaves. To me it looked more like Fall than Spring, but there it was.

I was hoping to capture the sense of Spring renewal in a semi-abstract way....splotches of color on a canvas. I have some straight shots from when the wind died down with no motion blur to the leaves, but I actually thought that the motion blur of the leaves in the trees conveyed the feeling of the wind and helped transmit a nice feel to the image. The contrast between the leaves that were moving and the shorter yellow plants that demonstrated very little, if any, motion blur was also very appealing to me.

One problem in evaluating the image on the web is that the blur of the red and yellow leaves on the tree doesn't come through very well at the very small image size that Blogger allows.

On one level I really like this shot. I like the color pallete and the way the color is seemingly coming from all over. What I don't like is the lack of 'simplicity'. In some ways the scene looks too chaotic to me with just too many twigs, trees, and undergrowth. I think it might have been more effective had the blurred colorful tree leaves been on a simpler background. Yet, when I look at it on another level, not expecting a ‘beautfully composed’ landscape, but just allowing myself to step back and enjoy the colors and the way they play off each other…well, then I like it. It seems to appeal to me on that level despite the lack of simple lines.

I fully realize that the art is for myself and should not be predicated on how I think others will react to it (see my review of Art and Fear by Bayles and Orland). Nonetheless, my feelings about the image are mixed and so I seek other opinions.

What do you folks think, keep it in the project or out...and why? A thumbs down or just a so-so gives it the boot as I am trying to be heavy-handed with my editing.

9 comments:

Mark said...

While this doesn't have the simplicity of the three trees or the water shots, I think it portrays color and particularly texture quite nice. I think it is one of those shots that looks better big, and standing back a bit from it rather than to be up close in the little details.

Howard Grill said...

Interesting observation. In fact, to my eye, it does look much better big. I am interested in getting more opinions as well.

The more I look at it, I am not sure it would stand as an image on its own, but I also have to put it into the context of a whole project. It seems to me that it works better as part of a whole, perhaps. But then again, I don't want to include something that is not the best I can do.

By the way, I am going to include that trillium shot, "Peeking Out", which was taken in the same park.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen a concise statement of what the project is really about. Is it just your favorite images from these locations? Or is there a more focused theme, something we should take away other than "nice location"? I'm not necessarily advocating that you try to pin it down at this point, but until you do I think the selection is just provisional. If you want a coherent project, as I think you do, and are as verbal as you seem from your blog, then I think starting to write a statement may help. Since it's all provisional until you hang a show anyway, why not?

Howard Grill said...

Steve, You really bring up an excellent point. I did talk about the project, but when I go back and look at what I really said......it turns out it isn't much more than pretty pictures from two parks.

In the end, it may end up being mostly that, but I do think I need to think about the underlying theme and purpose more and come up with a much more structured statement.

Thanks for bringing this up. When I write something more structured (and this might take a bit of time), I will post it for sure.

BKR said...

I seem to be late to the party as well as by far the least distinguished attendee, but, well, you did ask for opinions...

I was originally going to say I wasn't a big fan for the very same reasons you outlined in your post, but then I took another glance and... well, it keeps growing on me. I don't know that it necessarily "fits in" with the other images so far, but it is quite nice in it's own right.

As you mentioned the motion blur doesn't come through in this size image. I'm curious why you don't host the image somewhere other than Blogger if you really want opinions on it. Surely you could put enough copyright notices on it to prevent copying?

Howard Grill said...

Beaker...Everyone is welcome to the party! I hadn't really considered hosting it elsewhere but it is a good idea. Even at 800 pixels high, you can't see the blur as well as in a large print, where it is obvious. Let me see what I can do in terms of finding where I can put it.

I know it doesn't fit the what a good image should look like mode, but , like you, I still find it appealing in some way that is hard to explain.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you host them on your website, as a separate page/album/gallery, with commenting by us viewers, then tell us about it here, with a link.

Howard Grill said...

Believe it or not, with the software I am using it is a bit of a pain to get stuff up on my website. I need to look into the best way to just get a big photo size up.

Anonymous said...

Like to see a similar image, Howard? View the current Enter page of Charles Cramer's online gallery, at http://www.charlescramer.com. See ya!