In my last post, I presented some of Cate's images that I found mysterious and ethereal and which motivated me to contact her in order to find out about her post-processing. I mentioned that I don’t usually write about Photoshop techniques in this blog, but, every so often, I do find something that is directly Photoshop related that I would like to share. Needless to say, this is one of those times.
As it turns out, the post-processing is done with textures. What are textures? Any image that consists mainly of abstract color and shape can serve as an underlying texture to blend with another 'real' image. So how is it done?
More On Michael's Textures In My Next Post
Open the 'real' image that you want to apply the texture to as well as the image of the actual texture itself (an example of a texture is posted above). Change the name of the texture image layer (it should consist of a single layer) from ‘Background’ to anything else (so that it can be dragged out to the other image). I just rename the layer ‘Texture’.
Next, resize the texture image to the same size and resolution as the image to which it is to be applied. It is just a background texture so one need not worry about maintaining image detail in it when upsizing. Then, while holding down the shift key (to make sure the texture is centered over the entire image) drag the renamed texture layer onto the image to which you want to apply the effect.
Whoa…..now that the texture layer is the top layer of the 'real' image, all you see is the texture. That is because the blending mode of the layer is set to ‘














5 comments:
Howard, here is another of those instances where we are thinking along the same lines. About 2 or 3 weeks ago I bought some handmade paper that I planned to scan to use as a texture overlay and play around with it to see what I could get. I've been too busy making some prints for a show to do it as of yet. You might want to look at
http://flickr.com/photos/holgaguy/
He is using blur and texture as well as some composites for his images.
Billie....Holgaguy does have some interesting work to peruse. I would also be really interested in seeing what you come up with as you try out the textured papers as overlays.
It will be after Christmas before I can work with Texture layers. We are headed for Texas for the holidays.
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
These are quite fun to play with Howard. Mark Johnson of The Radiant Vista discusses these in his new 'coffee table' book Botanical Dreaming(which is excellent). Ever since picking this up I have been meaning to start playing with some - just haven't set aside the time. I will look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Post a Comment