Jun 10, 2008

First Try

Ever since seeing Mark Graf's gorgeous rock and petrified wood macro abstracts, I have been wanting to give this type of work a try. After reading up on cross-polarization (along with some e-mail assistance from Mark) and buying a few specimens, I gave it a go. This is the first photo that I have fully processed and I plan to try more of these types of images, as I particularly enjoy finding abstracts and patterns in nature.




Stone Rainbow
Copyright Howard Grill

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Bill Atkinson's spectacular book "Within the Stone?

Howard Grill said...

I glanced at it some time back...but I think I will need to take a closer look at it again!

Anonymous said...

Nice, Howard! I've been wanting to do some of this type of photography after reading Mark's rock art posts, too. If this is "first try" I can't wait to see "best of show"!

Howard Grill said...

Thanks Con..

Mark said...

Bill Atkinson definitely sets the bar quite high. His book is spectacular, both in images as well as the print quality.

Nice job here Howard. Hope you continue to find those patterns that inspire.

Howard Grill said...

Thanks Mark...I am working on iy!

Anonymous said...

Very nice Howard, sooner or later I am going to try this, well done !!