Jan 10, 2009

Zone Plate


Dreamscape #1
Copyright Howard Grill


In my last post entitled "Process", I wrote about using the LensBaby Optic Swap system with a Zone Plate and mentioned that I would post some photos. This image is the first that I have processed from a series I took about two weeks ago. Some people I have shown it to have found it 'interesting' and some have called it 'creepy'. Personally, I really like the ethereal feel.

I usually title my images, but this series is one that I feel should be left without titles so as not to influence the viewer's interpretation.

13 comments:

Mark said...

Fascinating image Howard. Quite spiritual.

Howard Grill said...

Thanks Mark. There is something about it that I find intriguing. I am processing another zone plate image now.

Billie Mercer said...

Don't let the "interesting" comments throw you off. Follow your heart. This may turn out to be something great or it may not but you'll never know unless you keep on doing it until YOU are ready to stop. Too many times I've been thrown off course by "interesting" comments.

I'm looking forward to seeing some more of these.

Howard Grill said...

Thanks Billie. I was just listening to a podcast this morning about 'working outside your comfort zone'. This is that for me and I do want to pursue it and see where it takes me. I wouldn't be able to unless it were digital since time is so limited. The digital aspect gets rid of the developing and scanning etc. I will post some more as well

HeyJules said...

I think it's amazing. I'm so used to seeing the usual close cropped lensbaby floral photos that this is a refreshing change. I had no idea you could do this with a lensbaby!

Howard Grill said...

Thanks very much Jules...take note though that this was with the newest LensBaby version with the "Optic Swap" whereby you can pop out the optics and replace it with a pinhole or zone plate. You can't do that with the older ones that don't have the Optic Swap.

Unknown said...

Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you do pursue this even further Howard.
It has a bit of a calming effect with me as I view it.
Surreal, passionate, ..... I really like this!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful image, Howard. I've also been playing with the zone plate optic and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Howard Grill said...

I appreciate everyone's input...thanks!

Gary Nylander said...

I will add to your list of comments here, really nice image, dream like.

Colleen Farrell said...

I love it! Am trying to decide whether to buy the pinhole/zone plate optic. This photo is a reason why I'd buy it. Excellent work.

Howard Grill said...

Thanks very much...I am sure you will love the zone plate/pinhole optic. Go for it!