I know that I mentioned in my last post that I was going to wait a bit before once again writing about the Epson 7900 printer I recently bought. However, I have run into a few glitches that I wanted to mention.
The first glitch seems fairly unusual and does not seem to have been reported previously. It involves black and white printing via the Epson Advanced Black & White Driver. Black and white printing, with the ability to easily change from matte to photo black ink without much waste, was one of the main reasons for my purchasing the printer.
However, I have run into a real problem. In areas of deep black I seem to be getting ‘scuffing’ of the ink resulting in relatively wide linear areas where the black ink is intermittently lighter in the direction of printhead travel. To be sure, they are not terrible in that you have to actually hold the print under a light at an angle to see them. However, as a professional and pricey printer, this should not occur. This problem has persisted despite opening the platen gap to its widest setting and increasing the paper thickness setting in the driver. It has also used up a great deal of my time as well as media etc, trying to make changes that might cure the problem. In trying to do so, I also have been getting head strikes and, in fact, I even wonder if the scuffing is, in reality, a gentle head strike.
I finally called Epson tech support today and have to say that I was very impressed with their handling of the situation (thus far). The person I spoke with did not try to explain it away or simply say to just use Epson paper. Since he had not heard of this problem before, the support person gave me the Epson Fed-Ex account number and asked me to send him sample prints that demonstrate the problem and will also accept a few sheets of the media I have been using to see if he can recreate the problem at his end. He spent a good deal of time with me on the phone and seemed genuinely concerned. Everywhere I look on the web, superb results have been obtained with the various media I have been working with and so I do wonder if there is a problem with the printer.
I also seem to have a problem which has been well reported on multiple internet printing forums. The issue involves the automatic nozzle check system. This is a system which automatically checks to see if the head needs to be cleaned and can be set to perform the check either before every print, intermittently, or never (turned off). There have been numerous reports of the printer performing very frequent cleanings that take 5 or 10 minutes to complete and wasting ink in the process.
I did mention this to the Epson tech and he said that the check did take 5 or 10 minutes, but that just because it says ‘cleaning’ on the LCD panel does not mean it is actually cleaning and using up ink. He said that the printer is actually slowly checking the ink two colors at a time by firing small amounts of ink which it electrically charges from the nozzles into a grid. It sounds like a feasible explanation. However, in thinking about it, I realized that even when I had the printer set to check the nozzles before every print it doesn’t seem to go through the ten minute cleaning cycle every time, which I would expect to occur if his was ‘the answer’. Sometimes the panel said it was doing the check and then went right to printing a few seconds later without doing what the panel says is a cleaning cycle. At any rate, I now have the automatic nozzle check option turned off.
So I have hit a very frustrating road block or two along the way here. I will report back as to what I am told after Epson has a chance to review the prints that I send them.
Addenda: Since I have written the above I have tried using the color driver to print color images with a large amount of pure black (flower against black background) and have found the exact same problem with third party papers despite a wide platen gap and thick media setting. I believe I see a trace of the issue with Epson papers as well. Will see how Epson responds.
Apr 18, 2009
Epson 7900 Experience - Problems
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













4 comments:
Concerning the head pair cleaning. What go me going on this; I turned off the autoclean because it seemed to take forever, and I couldn't check the nozzles 1st. I'd do a nozzle check and 5 or 6 were not perfect. So I select the 1st nozzle pair to clean. And after about the same time as the auto clean, all the nozzles came back perfect, and with a bunch of ink wasted. (maintenance tank values...notice that Epson doesn't tell you how much ink it used in the cleaning process like the 7600 did). So, the way this got tested is, (kind of hard to explain but here goes). I had one in cartridge that had 1% registered as remaining. So I cleaned a pair that did NOT include that color. After that pair was cleaned printer seems to go into some kind of auto mode and tried to clean the pair that included the 1% cartridge. The printer told me to change the cartridge or if I wanted to continue. So I stopped the process and checked the nozzles. Voila, the pair that I had requested were clean the others weren't and the process had only taken a fraction of the time the other "pair checks" had taken. So, I went to another pair, that didn't include the 1% cartridge & the same thing occured. Printer stopped and wanted a full cartridge. So I stopped the process and checked the nozzles and now the second pair are clean. Same with the 3rd. The kicker is, I am now down to the last pair that includes the 1% cartridge. I select that pair. The printer then proceeded to clean that pair perfectly and not ask for a full cartridge. Figure that one out. At the end of the day, I got all the nozzles cleaned with no requirement to replace the 1% cartridge. So I am convinced the the head pair cleaning process is significantly flawed, and have emailed Epson about it (no response so far). I would be interested any response you receive, I have also noticed a very recent firmware update on the Epson site, but no mention of this issue in the documentation. I hated the 7600 because of the cleaning issues I had with it. I wasted a lot of ink.
I am waiting to see what Epson says about my problem with the blacks looking scuffed. I am also having a good deal of problems with clogs and not being able to get effective cleaning. I am wasting way too much ink and paper getting this sorted out.
Howard;
I wanted to share with you an experience with my newly acquired 7880 that is a little unsettling, but most likely due to non-Epson media.
Here's the setup scenario: I'm using a roll of Hanhenmule 285gsm Photo Pearl, platen setting normal, roll is approximately 1/2 full, inks are all sufficient, so no ink starvation occurring.
Everything appeared fine up until today, when I began to get what appears to be a head strike or scuff along the paper in specific areas (4 along the width), and looks like a zebra stripe, from the shuttle's movement. The width of the 'scuff stripe' is approximately 1 inch wide.
With that, here is what I was able to deduce is the problem: The heavy paper's curl is causing the head to drag along the paper at those points where the paper has pressure on it from the output area. As soon as the paper end clears the bottom of the printer, the banding stops. I can only assume that the vacuum system is not able to hold the paper against the platen system. I have tried using sheets of Super B of similar media, with no banding whatsoever.
Thanks for starting this post, gald to see I'm not the only one with these issues....
C. Rice
Denver, CO
cgr...I haven't even tried roll paper yet. This is occurring on cut sheets that appear to be perfectly flat!
Post a Comment