Dec 27, 2010

Looking For An Opinion

As people who read this blog may know from my prior posts, I have undertaken the rather hefty project of designing my own website rather than continuing to use my current on-line template model where I simply upload my images to a service.

I am currently deep into the project, which seems to be moving along at a faster pace than I thought it would (my self imposed deadline for going live is April).

I want to make the site a springboard that I can use to offer many types of media going forward, such as pdf format articles, e-books, maybe some video etc, but am also trying to figure out ways to make the traditional presentation of images more interesting. In this regard, I am looking for opinions and was hoping some blog readers might offer up theirs.

I am going to be presenting my portfolios/images in slideshow format with a full screen option as well as the option to choose individual slides rather than just let them play.

What I was considering was an option whereby clicking on a slideshow image would bring the viewer to a page with a large version of the image at the top as well as text describing the "Story Behind The Image", which could include items such as the location as well as the specifics about the situation that was occurring when I took the image such as what attracted me to the image, how difficult it was to access the site, what it was like to be there and the like.

Do you think this type of information helps establish a 'dialogue' with the viewer and allows them to become more involved with the image or is it simply personal information ("I did this or that") that a viewer would really not be all that interested in?

Opinions would really help me out......my inclination is that it would make the site a bit more different, but it would take extra work that I am willing to put in if it is a feature that viewers would be interested in as opposed to personal narrative that no one really cares about?

If you care to offer an opinion on this simply put it in the comment section or feel free to e-mail me directly.

15 comments:

Justin said...

I think so Howard. Many folks email or comment on my images because I include capture/processing notes as well as a story from where it was taken. I does help connect the viewer.

Howard Grill said...

Thanks for taking the time to comment Justin. Do you think a few paragraphs of info/ story is too much to keep the viewers interest as opposed to just 2 or 3 lines?

Albert Capizzo said...

I also think adding the text with background info is a good idea. People always ask, "where did you take that?", and if they are also photographers they may want to know tech info.
My only caution is keep the backstory real. I've seen some sites that want you to believe every single photo/location was a life changing and highly spiritual experience.

Howard Grill said...

Ha...I know what you mean Al. I wasn't so sure I was going to post technical data as that might only interest photographers as opposed to a general audience and make it seem a bit less like art. It will definitely add work making a separate page per image but perhaps it is worth it.

Interestingly, Brooks Jensen, in his seminars states something along the lines of being careful whenever you try to engage your audience with the idea of "I" as they are interested more in your artwork than your personal experience, but I am not sure I agree totally with that.

Mark said...

I have space for a more lengthy description in my gallery for telling more about the image - usually along the lines of the inspiration behind it, or if there is a significant story. I place more wording there more on the exception rather than the rule, which I am trying to be more dedicated about. But whether it will dramatically increase traffic or a person's experience, I remain skeptical. If anything, it is more for my own memory and notes! :-)

I haven't had someone relay feedback that they enjoy this feature of the site yet, but perhaps because it is rare that I fill it in.

If you do implement something, I would recommend that it is a simply an option. Having a variety of ways to go through your images is key I think. Some people do not want to wait through a slideshow and just want thumbnails, while others may want just one at a time.

D said...

Hi Howard,

I agree with Justin's comment, and feel that a few lines is probably enough (paragraphs of information is probably too much work on your end, and people probably won't read it all while browsing pictures).

Anonymous said...

My view is that a viewer/potential buyer will resonate with an image and want it for that reason, and not for the technical know-how. However, if you wish to become an educational resource, then...

Howard Grill said...

Menchu....assuming, then, that the notes are not of a technical nature, do you think a very brief story about the location and how the image was obtained would aid in a buyers resonating with an image?

Howard Grill said...

Mark...yes, the main navigation would be with small thumbnails at the bottom of the slide show that enlarge when you hover over them and if the thumbnail is clicked that image immediately shows up. The story page would just be an option. Now that I am programming my site it really gives me an appreciation for the massive amount of work that must have gone into yours as mine is nowhere near as complex and yet programming it makes my head spin!

Howard Grill said...

David....in thinking about it I believe you are correct and that it should be kept to a short length. Thanks for adding your opinion.

Mark said...

Trust me, I understand the frustrations! :-)

Anonymous said...

Great question Howard and one that many of us have been struggling to answer ourselves. Do we leave the photo blank or add narrative? There are many conceivable answers to this question, and none of them are wrong. For some, the narrative is an extension of the image itself (and our expressive-creative selves)--whether it takes the form of a haiku, traditional poem, short story, poignant byline, photojournalistic essay--or merely a description of the photographer's thinking at the time. Other traditionalists would argue that any text other than stated location is forcing an idea on viewers that could potentially bias their interpretation. But in many cases, it can enhance--because it allows us to look at things from another perspective; to question our own thinking.

Only you can answer whether or not this is right for you. But in defense of the idea, you are a wonderful writer--so your words would not fall on deaf ears by any means. If I really had to go out on a limb one way or another with my opinion, I do think your idea is worth exploring for select images, but maybe not for all. Many of your striking images already say so much without uttering so much as a whisper. Like a talented magician, maybe some tricks are best left to the viewer's wonderment and imagination.

Anonymous said...

I don't think so, Howard. However, just a few sentences of background always is interesting, a la photoblog layout, eg some photoblog platforms allow you to have some information with an image that only shows up when you hover over a particular spot. I believe the KISS principle is the way to go, unless you wish to be an educational resource.

Many websites have Pages/Menus, a la Microsoft, Wordpress, etc. That is a facility you can investigate re simplifying layout. EG have an image thumbnail, with the technical information/background information; the image can then be clicked to open in a new window/tab, which will then have all the shopping cart stuff at the top of that window.

So, this means you have a Page/Menu which is a gallery of a variety of image thumbnails within that gallery, with the detail, which can be labelled by subject, eg Art, Nature, Abstract, Objects, Landscape, etc. Make sense?

Perhaps a visit to my Creative Inspirations page links may give you some...inspiration! Especially the top few listed there. It should be fun, not such hard work! ^_^

Howard Grill said...

Daniel....thank you very much for your kind words! I guess at this point I am leaning towards going with the story pages but trying to keep the amount of writing to no more than a few sentences. I am also thinking that if I do it I might as well do it for every image as it would have the added benefit of making it easy to add an option for a purely thumbnail driven navigation in addition to the slideshow with thumbs. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out and evolves and if people have any interest at all in reading the story behind the image.

Howard Grill said...

Menchu...thanks very much and I am going to check out your pages. The slideshow program for the website does allow captions when you hover over the image and I was initially planning to use that, but when trying it out I didn't like how it interfered with viewing the image or detracting from the image when reading and viewing at the same time. Ia also found the slight delay between the hover and the appearance of the caption a bit bothersome.