One of the nice things about having a blog is that you get to ‘meet’ (internet style) some interesting folks that either write comments or e-mail you. Such was the case yesterday when Mike Bartolotta posted a comment and when we subsequently followed up with a few e-mails.
Now, “Bart”, as he apparently calls himself, has defined for himself a most interesting photographic project. He currently hails from
“The concept is quite simple. For no better reason than to take photos for the love of photography, I am setting out on a quest to capture unique and distinct images of the city of
Initially, I am starting this project on my own. My hope is that as things start to get going, I will meet other local photographers who are interested in the project and willing to participate. Every photographer involved will photograph the same randomly picked “square” or section of the city during a designated time frame. The beauty of this concept is that, although we are all taking pictures of the same area, every photographer has a different eye and style, so no two photos will be alike.
In the end, the goal is to have a unique portrait of
If you are interested in taking part in the endeavor, please visit the contact page and drop me a line. I welcome photographers of all skill level (I am no professional by any means), and I would love to have more people involved.
NOTE: I also feel it necessary to say that although I would like to, I cannot take credit for this idea. During one of my many Internet searches, I stumbled across the “Portland Grid Project”. Esssentially a photography group in
I found this to be a fascinating and unique idea (the fact that it has been done in
Bart, if things go well, I would think that this is the sort of project that the local government or an area gallery might well be interested in showing to a wider audience. Good luck. I know that I, for one, will be following with interest.
Meanwhile, if anyone else out there is currently living in Rochester, why not drop Bart a line and get involved.

4 comments:
Howard,
Thanks so much for such a wonderful post about my project. It's really nice to find such helpful and supportive people. Well, it looks like I have my work cut out for me now...but I am looking forward to it!
Thanks!
Bart
My pleasure Bart. I think the project is a great idea and look forward to seeing how it goes!
here's another one that is worth a look. the singer/guitarist for the band "poster children" took a picture every hour for an enire year.
it's at: http://www.richardvalentin.com/days/index.html
It's a bit like the project that sets out to document a city over 24 hours - 'A Day in the Life Of'.
Terrific idea! I am always surprised at the diversity of ways that people respond to a topic, no two interpretations are ever the same (although I'll bet if you suggested 'milk' we would get a few images of milk drops, or 'truck' and we would get a few images of rusty ole wagons in the desert...!
I'm looking forward to checking in on this project over time just to see what happens. Thanks Howard and Bart!
Post a Comment