Jul 24, 2007

First Holga Shots

Since I have been posting about Holga and alternative camera images, I though I should probably post an image or two of my own. I am just learning about the Holga's idiosyncrasies and the aesthetic, so I need to say that I don't think these are particularly accomplished or dynamic Holga images, as they are from my first few rolls of film that I have put through the camera. I present them merely as an example of the type of results that the Holga gives. I hope to have some better examples in the future.

I have to say, I think the camera / film imparts a very 1940's look to the images and that urban type images will benefit from this particular 'retro' type of appearance.



"Cityscape"



"Wiener World"
Images Copyright Howard Grill


With the next post I will delve into some pinhole photography resources and then back to 'regular' photography for awhile.

9 comments:

Adiemus said...

Weiner world is a great example of what Holga can do I think. It's the 'street' feel of the image that makes it feel immediate and close. Looking forward to seeing more!

Gary Nylander said...

I like the Weiner world shot it looks like it was shot in the 1950's

Howard Grill said...

Thanks...the only thing I don't like about Wiener World is the guy walking down the street as he's too bright and blurry and distracts a bit as opposed to the people who are at the window.

Mark said...

This suits street and cityscapes really well Howard.

Billie Mercer said...

Howard, forget about perfection with the Holga. Forget about square-up perspective. Forget about the rules. I think blurry people etc are the things that make the Holga look. Let go and have fun. Enough of what you know about making a photograph will still be there. Let the angel on your shoulder give you a blessing. Delight in the unexpected.

Howard Grill said...

Thanks Billie....I am trying....sometimes it is tough to let go of what has been safe haven. Just trying this has been a big change for me. By the way, I just received a used Diana that I bought.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Billie in what she says. Remember my Rollercoaster series, created using my cellphone? They seemed to interest you. No viewfinder, a very small LCD screen that in bright sunlight was almost black so no image, only five settings to play with before you take the pix, and then playaround afterwards after you've seen what you've captured, by just pointing and shooting in the general direction. I got some really good shots doing just that, saying to myself 'ok, this seems like an interesting shot, let's try it', and to keep on trying by taking lots of shots. Despite my photography training, I'm not really into correctness and what's supposed to be 'right', technically or image-wise. I thrive on just having a go and seeing what results -- that is the fun of it. Creativity is a 'fun' process. Giving up after just taking one roll of pix, well...would you be a cardiologist today if you ... do I need to say any more?! ;o) Perhaps you need to see/learn the value in being different.

I prefer the bottom pix -- it is well composed, well lit, the blurry bloke included! The eye goes to what is of importance in the image.

Howard Grill said...

Janina, who said anything about quitting after one roll.....by the way, I'm glad you commented because somehow I lost the URL of your blog after the changeoever to another host and can't find it...what is it?

Anonymous said...

Hi Howard, I'm sorry if I got the impression you didn't like the fact that holgas/cellphone images weren't nicely crisp etc (refer your comment here, below gary's and your response to billie's). I have to say that as someone who likes to produce abstract images per se, my immediate thought was that you would like the freedom, despite your initial discomfort (getting out of your comfort zone).

I'm glad you will be making more attempts and look forward to further images. I notice your latest post, and am impressed! Will comment there!

PS: If you press my name on this and the previous comment, you will see my URL. Hope you'll visit soon! I'll be changing (that's right, changing not adding to) my images in the next day or two. I also suggest you look at the Fotos/Useful page to get the link to my complete album. ;o}