I went out to photograph a bit this morning with an aim towards experimenting. I wanted to try out a new 'gadget' that I just purchased (though, given the {over}price, I hardly think it could be called a mere gadget).
I am speaking of the Singh-Ray Vari ND Variable Neutral Density Filter. This rather unique filter lets you 'dial in' a neutral density 'strength' of up to 8 stops. Today, I gave it a whirl with flowing water. This image is shot at f16 with a 1 minute exposure using the filter dialed up pretty near to its max:
This, of course, was a quick first time out and a very obvious use for nature imaging. If you think about it, lots of possible ideas come to mind: water with swirling autumn leaves, snow, rain, imprssionistic blowing flowers, urban images with ghostlike moving people, cars, trains etc, smeared out clouds, surf ...the more I think the more ideas I come up with.
As I use it I will post some more examples.....I just think it is going to turn out to be a device that one can use to get some really creative effects.


9 comments:
You're right, Howard, many interesting aspects of the world are seen better if the light intensity is reduced. Those looking for a cheaper method can get almost the same results with a linear polarizer in front of a circular or second linear polarizer, though it's slightly more cumbersome.
That's a great image -- very striking. I've wanted to pickup one of those filters for quite some time now -- it's on my short list.
Orcasmac, I am going on a workshop in The Smokies in October and looking forward to it.
Brian, it definitely is a lot of fun to experiment with, definitely worth having. Just pricey. Like Orcasmic says though, definitely high quality.
Howard, like others, I've had an eye on the VariDN for a while. I suppose I'll bite the bullet at some point and just get it...my only question is, how long is the wait? Was it a matter of weeks or months until you received yours?
Andrew...no wait at all, it came right away. To be fair, I ordered it a few months back and just haven't had time to use it until now, so it is possible that the wait time is different at this point, but I would suspect not. You can always give them a call and see. They have been very helpful at Singh-Ray when I have called and even rushed a filter once when I needed it for a trip.
By the way, a big congrats on your bonus gallery in LensWork Extended. Just got it a few days ago and haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I am looking forward to seeing your work! Quite a nice accomplishment.
Howard
One more ques: does the VariND allow use of a polarizer on top of it. Apart from what I thought was the long waiting period (though will now check on that!), that was my main concern; i.e., not to lose the ability to still have a polarizer attached.
Thanks for the congrats on the Lenswork. The irony (for me) is that the images I would have *least expected* to make the cut, are the one's to first make it into Lenswork! Rather than my "usual" peeling-paint, they decided to go with my series on Orthodox Church interiors. Go figure ;-)
I have not tried a polarizer because of this quote from the Singh-Ray website:
"The Vari-ND can be used with most other Singh-Ray filters except Polarizers or Polarizers PLUS. The outer rotating ring of the standard Vari-ND Filter is threaded to accept other ring filters or a Cokin "P" filter holder. Keep in mind, however, that filters or holders threaded onto this outer ring will rotate whenever you change your Vari-ND density."
I assumed when they say Singh-Ray polarizer that it means any polarizer....I can't imagine why a Singh -Ray polarizer would be different than any other. But you are right, that is a drawback.
Howard
Howard, our wallets must have been in sync. I just got the VariND myself a week or so ago, and put it through a workout in my trip to the Michigan UP these past few days. This thing is a dream at the beach, it opens up so many more possibilities. Darn expensive though, I handle that thing with extreme care! :-) I should have some shots in the next few days also, just have to sort through them all.
Mark, I will look forward to seeing them. I had the opportunity to participate in two workshops in the UP, one in the fall and the other in summer....both were near Munising by Hiawatha National Forest and Pictured Rocks Lakeshore.....must be nice to be able to pop up there for a weekend!
Post a Comment