No, the blog is not dead! I haven’t posted in over a week because I have been away and didn’t think it prudent to broadcast that fact over the internet.
I have been off on a photographic journey to the Smoky Mountains on my second workshop with Nancy Rotenberg. Since my first workshop with her, she has been joined by Don McGowan and Les Saucier to form ‘Photography With Heart’. I could talk on and on trying to describe what a workshop with Nancy, Les, and Don is like, but I am sure that I would not be able do the experience justice. Let’s just say that their workshops embody all the emotional and spiritual journey that photography can and should be. It simply doesn't get any better.
I will certainly post more images and thoughts from the trip, but for the moment, and until I unpack, I offer just an image or two:
'Balance'Copyright Howard Grill

'The Road Less Traveled'
Copyright Howard Grill
11 comments:
I love both images. The starkness of the tree between the different colored leaves is beautiful. And the blur of the second photo is perfect!
The motion photography looks great!!!! I been trying to work on my motion photography with no luck, any tips????
Peace ~ John
Hi John. Actually, I am still and on a tripod for that shot. I zoomed out during the exposure to give a sense of movement. It was a great trip.
Hey Howard, I always envy people who can 'see' a shot like the first one you have here. This small segment is probably amongst a lot of chaos that most people, including me, would just walk by. I really enjoy this type of shot - and wish I could see it for myself more often.
Thanks Mark. I often don't see these type of shots so I was quite happy to have found it. The funny thing is that when on a workshop and doing photography intensely for a week I wsd definitely seeing more like this at the end of the week compared to the beginning. I just wish I had the opportunity to keep photographing as intensely going forward but unfortunately work gets in the way.
Thanks, Howard. Was the zoom shot taken at dawn or dusk? What aperture & shutter speed did you use? When I try this my shots just come out blurry not artful like yours.
John, this was taken at dusk. It was a fairly small aperture, I want to say f11 or f16. I think the trick was to frame at the smallest focal length that includes all you want in the image and then zoom out and see what you want the maximal focal length to be. In this case, I wanted the road to come close to the edge of the frame but not to the edge. Once you know the focal length range for the image I set the lens to the smaller focal length and zoom to the larger during the exposure playing with different speeds of zooming and changing the aperture to get different shutter speeds to allow different rates of zooming. At that point it is just try a bunch of different permutations between the focal lengths and see what happens. Also, the center of the image should be where you want the zoom to seem to emanate from.
Very nice! I love the balance in the first image. The yellow and green are great complements to each other.
The first shot is beautiful.. Probably one of the best of the autumn colour shots I've seen and well worthy of a 'Charles Cramer' award.. seriously nice shot..
Tim, thanks very much for the comment and for stopping by. I checked out your blog and really enjoyed it as well...added it to the blogroll on mine as well. I would have e-mailed you but I can't seem to find a way to get your e-mail address from your blog.
Its a beautiful Image which you dont get everytime.Its the right time, iths right place, its the right moment make's a great photograph.
Post a Comment