A recent experience made me realize how easy it is to overlook special photographic opportunities that may exist right in ones own backyard.
For 17 years I have been living a mere 10-15 minute walk from Phipps Conservatory, which a wonderful botanical garden. Needless to say, I have often photographed the outdoor gardens, but never the indoor ones because of the much lower light levels. Little did I know that if you are a member (which I am) you can bring a tripod inside from 9:30 - 11:00AM on Sundays. Thanks to Bob Egan, whose wonderful show "In Search Of Color" is still on display at Phipps, for letting me know about this member benefit.
I was able to bring my tripod in two weeks ago and am signed up for this Sunday once again.
I guess the lesson is that if there is someplace nearby your home that would be interesting to photograph, but there seems to be a limitation to doing do......just ask and maybe you will get lucky. Had I asked about photographing Phipps years ago there would have been many cold winter mornings spent photographing flowers and plants! It does make the idea of next winter more palatable though.




4 comments:
The tulip shot here is my favorite. I only know of one large botanical garden in this area, but it is a bit of a drive. Your post makes me think I should search and see if there are any closer.
Howard, these are beautiful images. I love botanical gardens. I photographed orchids at one in Atlanta on a trip a few years ago. The botanical gardens at Denver, about an hour's drive for me, doesn't allow photography. The no photography statements on their website made me decide against a membership.
I'll look forward to seeing more of your images from inside the gardens!
Thanks Con, I was back there this morning!
Lovely flower shots. really, just beautiful!
Post a Comment