Feb 7, 2009

New Website

Though I had programmed my website on my own, and was generally pretty pleased with it, the site had the drawback of being difficult to update. An art site is not particularly helpful if it tends to stagnate and isn't updated with one's new work. To alleviate this problem, I had been working on programming a new site that would automate some functions, but this was taking far more time than I had planned. Not happy with how things were going, I decided that it would be more effective to use a 'hosted solution' to the problem. In short, I felt the best use of my limited time was not to spend it concentrating on website design.

After looking at various companies and their solutions to the problem, I decided to go with Visual Server. It doesn't have much in terms of fancy bells and whistles (though they seem to be making relatively frequent updates, the most recent of which includes an easy way to add a shopping cart to the site) but the templates are clean and easy to use. The template setup has also led me to think of my images in a more project oriented fashion. They put the focus of the site squarely on the artwork, which is where it should be. Though a bit on the pricy side, Visual Server is owned by Photo-Eye, so I also feel that at least I am supporting an art-centric organization.

My old URL (www.hgrillphotographic.com) redirects to the new site. However, people had a difficult time remembering that web address and so I now have a new domain. The new site can be found at http://www.howardgrill.com.

I made the site live as of about a week ago, and am still working on getting it just the way I want it. Not all my work is up yet, as I am still working on assembling the images into portfolios. Nonetheless, if anyone takes the opportunity to visit, I would love to hear what you think.

12 comments:

Beau A.C. Harbin said...

Looks very nice Howard. Clean and elegant. The only thing that I thought I would point out is that there might be some SEO issues for you for example when looking at some of the galleries I noticed there was not a title for the HTML page in the top bar. But all in all it looks very nice. I need to get mine up to date too. Best wishes.

Gary Nylander said...

Looks good, simple, easy to navigate, shows off your fine photography very well.

Mark said...

Looks good Howard. To emphasize Beau's comment - definitely get some title tags going for the pages, it will greatly improve the ability to draw people in through searches.

I am curious at how you arrived at your print sizes since they don't seem to be the typical 2:3 aspect ratio 35mm type sizes.

I can relate to how much work is involved - seems like the little tweaks go on forever. Good luck with the rest of the development!

Howard Grill said...

Thanks very much for the comments. As best I can tell, given the on-line template, the only title tags I believe I can give are on the home page. I will have to ask tech support to be sure. It does seem a detriment, however, I suspect that I never will be able to come anywhere near the top of searches for photography, nature etc even if I did have tags. I think most people fine me through links from things I write or because I have met them and give them a card. Is my logic or relative lack of concern about it ill-conceived? I probably don't know as much about this sort of thing as I should.

Howard Grill said...

Mark...the unusual sizes are for two reasons. First is that I crop each image however I think it would look best. The second is that I add a one inch border to the bigger images and a half inch border for the small size.

Anonymous said...

Like the new site Howard,it showcases your work well, good luck with it !!

Unknown said...

Site looks great!!!

Mike Mundy said...

Well, this is a late comment, but . . .

I'm wondering about the utility of having a website, in general. How realistic is it that a photo website will be commercially viable? The cheapest Visualserver product is $200 per year. (Plus the $50 setup charge.)That's at least 20 $10.00 8x10s that would need to be sold from the site per year. Doable, I guess. Maybe.

I can understand why one might want to have just for personal amusement. Or as a business writeoff perhaps.

Howard Grill said...

In many ways you are right Mike, but I do think it is very important these days in terms of exposure and accessibility....even if it doesn't attain profitability as a stand alone enterprise

Howard Grill said...

In many ways you are right Mike, but I do think it is very important these days in terms of exposure and accessibility....even if it doesn't attain profitability as a stand alone enterprise

Mike Mundy said...

OK, now it's the end of March.

I notice that Digital PhotoPro magazine has featured VisualServer in their March/April 2009 issue.

So now everyone will be using those templates. (Just as in Blogger.)

I have to confess I'm tempted as well. My current site from register.com is not meant for photography . . .

Howard Grill said...

That sort of bums me out Mike...I like the fact that Visual Server is relatively unknown so that the templates still have a fresh feel to them. I am sure Visual Server doesn't feel the same way...they would likely want tons of people to have them