Aug 19, 2009

Robert Capa's "Falling Soldier"

Sure, the issue as to whether Robert Capa's famous photograph "Falling Soldier" was staged or not is an old one. But that doesn't make the controversy any less interesting.




Copyright Robert Capa / MagnumPhotos


Jose' Manuel Susperregui has some new information and theories that suggest the image was staged. We may never know the answer, but it certainly makes for interesting reading.

Here is the latest from the August 18, 2009 New York Times.

4 comments:

Matt said...

I absolutely love the quote in the story: “Art is always manipulation, from the moment you point a camera in one direction and not another”. Even for someone like myself who (usually) does minimal digital processing I am onboard with this philosophy that artists, including most photographers, have the freedom to create what they want.

I do reserve that photography in journalism should be as manipulation-free as possible, so claiming that a subject is one thing when it really is another is not right.

Howard Grill said...

Matt...I agree, it is a great quote. I wrote a bit about that as well...here:

http://howardgrill.blogspot.com/2007/05/photography-and-truth-part-i.html


Howard

Chris Sheppard said...

Then again, maybe it's not a fake ...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/robert-capa/in-love-and-war/47/

I tend to believe that the image is not faked. But on the other hand, Capa was never known to let the truth get in the way when telling a good story. As you say, at the end of the day, we'll probably never know for sure and it probably doesn't matter.

Howard Grill said...

Thanks Chris...fascinating stuff