Jan 12, 2010

Quick Quotes - Daryl Benson

"The moment you take the leap of understanding to realize you are not photographing a subject but are photographing light is when you have control over the medium."

Daryl Benson


Isn't it quite amazing how the same scene can look wonderful if the light is just right, but quite plain if it isn't?




Foggy Morning
Copyright Howard Grill


Daryl Benson's quote vividly reminded me of taking this photograph. This particular location can look quite amazing with mist and the right light. On this particular autumn morning the fog was just breaking up as the warm rays of sunrise started illuminating the scene. I had bever seen this location in Moraine State Park look quite like this. I really enjoyed photographing this as an 'intimate landscape'. However, if the light isn't right you would just walk right by and not give the spot a second look!

3 comments:

Mark said...

Wholeheartedly agree Howard. The light certainly makes this image.

David said...

Lovely texture here, do you mind telling me how much work you have put into post capture - I like the canvassy surface. Very nice.

Howard Grill said...

Probably a few hours to get everything the way I wanted it. It is an older image and I processed it some time ago. As part of the processing I used a plug-in called Akvis Enhancer. I don't use it very much anymore because I feel it gives a bit of a 'crunchy' and oversharpened look. I think there are better alternatives out there now to achieve a similar look. I actually did not blend any textures into the image.