As I was leisurely taking some photos the other day, I began thinking about the fact that the images were about to go into my personal collection. I was just having fun, so the pictures weren't serious photographs, but it made me start to think about the images I have that are good (or at least I like them). Those are also in my personal collection. But how do they get to see the light of day? How does one get these photographs to be seen by others who might appreciate them and their message? It doesn't do anyone any good to have them sitting on a hard drive 'living in the dark'.
It seems to me there is only one answer, and that is to get your work 'out there'. The problem is, of course, that getting it 'out there' is hard work! I had always thought that the 'work' (if you can call it that) was in the taking, processing, and printing of photographs. Turns out that is just the preparation involved with getting the artwork ready to 'go out into the world'.
So one of my goals is to try a bit harder to get my images 'out there'. In an effort to do this, I am going to be submitting more of my work to juried shows and magazine submissions. I think many folks don't realize how time consuming and difficult that aspect of 'being an artist' really is!
Jun 3, 2010
Getting Work Out There
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I'm wondering if the distinction between personal photographs and serious photographs is all that useful. My taco truck is, in a sense, "personal" whereas my Death Valley pix are more "serious." But I would think that all of the images could have an audience.
And, as for getting your work "out there," yikes! What a topic!
Mike, I tend (I am sure like you) to spend a fair amount of time post-processing images that I am going to print and so I end up mainly working on and printing 'best of' images. However, realizing the fallacy in that and, as you suggest, in an attempt to blur the line between 'personal' and 'serious' am trying to go out with more of a project based mind-set to try to group images that stand together but not as best of single shots. But, as an artist filled with self-doubt I am always wondering if the projects really have enough meaning or emotional content. To this day, I am still not sure if I should be pushing forward to get my Scene In Stone project (http://www.howardgrill.com/Portfolio.cfm?nK=7151) out there or not.
I also find that I tend to divide my time out into 'serious photography' with my 5D MKII or no photography. I have always found it somewhat difficult to have a big camera with me at casual times and visits. I thought about a smaller but still high quality camera like the Panasonic G1 but saw a friends and it just feels like too much of a 'toy' to me and I would have to learn a whole new set of menus and controls etc...but perhaps having it would help with vision development...I don't know.
But I am trying to get my work out there and you are right...it is a big topic. That is why I pre-ordered Brooks Jenson's new DVD about finding an audience for your work!
The upper-end Canon point-and-shoot cameras are actually quite good. (I have an older Canon G9.)
Somehow I always end up having a big camera and a small camera, a holdover from my film days.
It can be a full time job in itelf - the art of self-promotion!
Mark....ain't that the truth. Some might say that good promotion can even trump average photography.
I applied and was accepted to my first large and well known juried show this spring. I couldn't believe the amount of time (and money) involved in printing, matting, framing, and setting up a booth for a show.
But aside from the $$, it is incredibly rewarding to have total strangers stop in their tracks in front of your both and point it a photo, or bring their friends back to see what you've got displayed. Of course when they follow that with a credit card or check, I know they're sincere :)
It really is fulfilling when people 'get' what you are trying to say in a photo!
Post a Comment