Jun 22, 2007

Chihuly!

Last night, I had the opportunity to go to the Chihuly glass sculpture exhibit at Phipps Conservatory, right here in Pittsburgh. It was simply breathtaking. I write this post not as a review (many have done it much better than I possibly could) nor as a display of my photos (they are simply snapshots I took walking the exhibit with my seven year old daughter), but, rather, to give folks a small taste of what was there and to urge anyone that is able to attend the traveling exhibit to do so! You won't regret it.

Even my daughter, who is not yet into visiting formal art displays, loved it and wants to go back. By the way, she was having a great time taking pictures with a point 'n shoot digital herself.

A taste of the Chihuly exhibit at Phipps:

















Images Copyright Howard Grill

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great day!!! I will be at the PGH histroy Center tommorow at 12:30 or 1. Will you be going ????

Howard Grill said...

Not sure yet John....my 13 year old is at camp today and I wanted to take him with me.....have to see what his busy social schedule allows and see if he can work me in :>)

I suspect it will be next week when I go, but if I go tomorrow I will e-mail you.

Anonymous said...

Psssh. Just snapshots? I find them to be wonderful "snapshots"! They have lovely colors and composition. The exhibit sounds very interesting.

Anonymous said...

isn't his work amazing?

I was fortunate enough to see the exhibit at the Miami botanical gardens back in december, it was incredible...

Hmmm... Philly's not all that far from Pittsburgh (lol)... maybe a weekend trip is in order!

Howard Grill said...

Thanks squidder...

Howard Grill said...

About a six hour drive...but let me know if you come. I would guess it must also be coming to New York at some point?????

Mark said...

wow, I really hope this exhibit comes to Detroit.

Adiemus said...

Chihuly's works are fantastic, in the original sense of the word! I remember when an exhibition was brought to Christchurch, must have been around 1996 or so, I just stood absolutely stunned at the fluidity and colour and brilliance of the glass. Absolutely amazing. Wonderful shots too Howard, they are not easy to photograph because of the size and colour (and the people in the way!!). Wonderful.