One of the things that I have been thinking about lately is how to deal with the idea of making photographs that I know ahead of time are not likely to be among those that I consider to be my best, or even likely to make it into print. I found myself wondering about the importance of making images under these circumstances and, in my mind, ended up comparing this situation to other fields of artistic endeavor, particularly music.
I found myself realizing that this situation surely occurred with even the best of the best. Didn't The Beatles and The Rolling Stones know that the songs they put on the “B Side” of their singles were not their strongest work. (For those too young to remember, ‘back in the day’ bands would release their hit singles on 45rpm vinyl records which had a song on both sides. Typically the ‘A Side’ had the hit single that was played on the radio and the ‘B Side’ had a lesser known work.) Even on full album releases it seemed, at least at the time, pretty clear what the ‘weakest’ songs were. So why put those on the album? Why not wait until a few more ‘good’ songs were written? If it were as simple as this, however, there would be no album that contained ‘filler’.
I think the answer goes far beyond the obvious issue of it being difficult to predict what will become a hit. And I think the answers are directly applicable to photography as well. It just somehow seemed clearer to me when I thought about the issues in the realm of music, perhaps because I am an ‘outsider’ to the field.
Surely there must be times when a musician is pleased with a piece they have written, only to find that most listeners would not categorize it as being among their best work. Similarly, I recently posted about how difficult it can be to predict what images people will find most appealing.
I am sure there are times that a musician feels a need to change something about their style: to experiment a bit, as it were. For me, this immediately brings to mind The Talking Heads and Joni Mitchell. From a photography standpoint, even though landscapes, for example, might be your strongest point, when you are feeling in a creative rut you might well want to do macro or street photography. Does that mean that this 'experimental' work should not be shown? Of course not.
What about the creative process in general? Maybe it simply isn’t possible to collect 14 ‘A Side’ songs at once. What if to generate that many hits you simply have to work through all the other tunes going through your mind first? What if you have to keep ‘practicing’ in order to make hits?
As I have been working through these issues and ideas in my mind a few things have become clear to me:
If you don’t keep practicing photography with vigor, then when the opportunity to take that ‘killer shot’ comes along the results will surely not be as good as they could have been.
If you don’t change your style, at least transiently, in order to climb out of a creative rut, you are doing yourself a creative injustice. Try macro, landscape, street…try playing with a Holga or pinhole camera. And don't hide the work.
Sometimes, to tell a story, not every image will be a ‘Best Of’ shot. (Not every song on The Who’s “Tommy” was a hit.) But each image may well play an important role, acting as a chapter, in delivering a complete and autonomous tale.
Even though you may not be going to a beautiful location, you can never tell when something will catch your eye and the subsequent photographic exploration may turn up something unanticipated.
It may well be that a passing texture or pattern that you make an image of might not stand on its own, but, at a later time, that image might well play an important role in a montage, as a texture blend, or other use.
I am not advocating showing your photographic ‘outtakes’ or what you consider to not be your best work, but surely there are many images that might merit that ‘B Side’; work that might not be one’s “Best Of” but still occupies an important spot in your creative history!

7 comments:
Got to agree with this one.. I'm all of the mind that it's better to photograph than to have photographs. I get a lot of pleasure out of getting a good photograph in difficult conditions.. probably more than getting a very popular photograph at a photogenic location.
I'll also be better prepared through practise so that when I am presented with a fantastic opportunity, I can make the most of it.
I'd be willing to bet also that some of those b-sides got caught up in some of the commercialism of the music industry. I actually don't know how much control an artist has over picking exactly what songs from a group will be released on an album. It would seem they would get influenced by the producer and record label, similarly to a book publisher that might influence which images get shown in a photo book.
I think another good example of "B-side" photographs are the ones published in Lenswork Extended. But "B-side" shouldn't necessarily mean second class because I find many of the images in the extended portfolios to be just as nice as those that got published in the magazine. But somewhere along the line, they have to weed out something simply because the original media or format can't handle it all.
I really enjoy thinking about the parallels between the art of photography and other art forms. There are so many similarities. And the differences can be just as thought-provoking. I read an article the other day how an artist typically receives 5 to 10 cents for every song sold on iTunes. But I guess that is another post entirely that I was thinking about. :-)
Mark..I agree that B side definitely doesn't mean second class. Just a few weeks ago Brooks Jensen had a podcast talking about the differences in making art for different audiences with music, poetry and photos. He spoke about making music that is popular and the attempt to make a hit for the masses vs making a composition for those who are also well versed musicians and might be looking for other things in the music. I suspect that what you and I look for in a photograph is also different than what John Doe, who is not an artist or photographer looks for. I don't mean to imply that Lenswork Extended vs the magazine is aimed to a different audience, but perhaps these differences are what make a piece B Side to some but not others.
5 cents for a song on i-tunes....makes me think about the micro-stock industry!
Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.! Greatly appreciated, I love being introduced to blogs such as yours as well....
I added your link to my blog!
I look at it from two points of view, both of which you touch on in your post. First, every time you make an image, it is a learning experience. Even if lesson is simply “that wasn’t such a great idea”. And to drag out the old cliché, “practice makes perfect”. I find that it’s helpful to get out there and photograph just to keep the technical & creative skills from getting rusty. Even if I know that at the end of the day most if not all of the shots will never make it past a first edit.
Secondly, the second rank shots help to put the first rank in perspective. I’ve always had a tendency to pick out the “one great shot” to print, display, whatever. But lately I’ve been finding that I look at some of these images and think “so what? What does that image mean?” Now as an exercise, I’ve been trying to pick out my images in groups of three; one first rank shot and two second rank to tell a more complete story.
Chris, I like that idea of picking out several shots to put them in context.
I find that most everyone I am in contact with at one point or another gives great consideration to this idea you've brought to the table...
Process v.s. Final A+ Product as well as Experience v.s. knowledge and not to forget ... Purpose v.s. Creative Expression.
But on the topic.... I agree it is by far better to continue to photograph whether even if you are not in the perfect conditions, it keeps the mind and "eye" active. Whether or not to display them, well that would be of individual choice... however, I find that I spend more time looking at my B photos than the A photos... I study them and use them to gain perspective and it helps to identify future A photo's or B photos... I also like to display them in an arena that people are willing to give feedback, I've found many times that someone else will offer a perspective that I had not originally considered - giving me greater insights to my own work.
All in all I believe there is an invaluable purpose to our process and over all ... B photos included...
Rebecca
Post a Comment