Jan 23, 2008

The Changing Light

Sunrise is one of the things that many people who are not photographers often miss. Even though I frequently do take the opportunity to get up to photograph the rising sun, I still am almost always amazed at how quickly the color, intensity, and quality of light can change at this time of day. These changes are some of the aspects of light that are often missed by folks who are not photography oriented, either because they aren't awake for sunrise or don't pay as much attention to the nuances of light.

Several posts back, I wrote about a recent family vacation I took in Florida, at Sanibel Island. On a few of those days I got up early to photograph the sunrise. Here, in Western Pennsylvania, we often don't get a good view of the horizon because of the rather hilly terrain. On Sanibel, there was horizon visible all around. Being able to see the actual horizon so easily made the changing quality of the morning light even more evident. Because you could see so far 'out', the changes seemed to occur much more rapidly than I had ever appreciated here at home. It was truly an amazing, almost surreal experience.

As I was looking through some of those images, I recognized two that really brought this point home, as they were of the same subject and taken only about 20 minutes apart, and yet the difference in the quality of light is startling:





Driftwood I
Sanibel Island, Florida
Copyright Howard Grill






Driftwood II
Sanibel Island, Florida
Copyright Howard Grill


Though I personally prefer the first image, partly because of the color of the light and partly because I like the way the slower shutter speed smoothed the water, I feel they each have their own special feel and appeal.

I should also add that I wonder if the image would look 'tidier' or better composed if the upper branch of the driftwood that breaks through the horizon line were cloned out. From a compositional standpoint, and without arguing about whether that type of cloning should be done, what do you think?

At any rate, one thing is clear. Among the highlights of photographing is the chance to be awake to see, experience, and appreciate spectacles like this. Hard to believe that it happens most mornings!

10 comments:

HeyJules said...

I like the piece of wood that breaks the horizon as it helps draw my eye to the sun.

However, out of the two images, my favorite is the first one. That ocean looks smooth as silk and the colors in the background just lull me into wanting a pina colada.

Chris Sheppard said...

I'd have to agree with the first comment with respect to the branch. It does help draw to eye to the wonderful sunrise colours on the horizon, and in the second photo, to the sun itself.

I also prefer the first image, but I may be biased as I've found myself doing a lot of long exposures of water lately. Not only do I like the smooth water, the colours are also much ‘softer’ and more appropriate to the experience of a quiet morning watching the sunrise over the ocean.

Anonymous said...

I'd keep that branch too :)... and my favorite is the first one as well. Two great shots anyway.

Con Daily said...

With the dawn colors and water motion, my fav is the earlier one, but I like the colors in the sunrise shot almost as well.

On cloning, I say, try it if you have time, then put it side by side with the original and squint to view. You may find that you like the unbroken horizon and that the shorter branch will still lead the eye to the sunlit area. Happy pruning!

Howard Grill said...

Playing around with some quick cloning I have to say I think I like leaving the branch there as well, even though I thought it would be the other way around. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Anonymous said...

The first one is terrific Howard I wouldn't change a thing, great work :)

Mark said...

Preference for the first as well Howard - big surprise there! Often if people know I am going out in the morning and ask if I am going to 'photograph the sunrise' I have to let them know .... "By sunrise, it's all over with!"

I agree, it is such a dynamic part of the day that most of the world misses, and do they care? :-)

Anonymous said...

Howard, I love running into beach objects, and
driftwood
is one of my favorite things to capture.

I love your two comparison shots. Each has its own mood. Isn't it interesting how colors and light speak to us?

VEEFINGER said...

I personally like that the top breaks the horizon. As a florida landscape photographer myself when an image becomes to perfect sometimes it loses its appeal beacuse it looks photoshoped. Nice work BTW.

Howard Grill said...

Thanks Nathan..I think I like it beat with the break as well.