Jan 15, 2009

Zone Plate II


Dreamscapes #2
Copyright Howard Grill


I would like to solicit some opinions on this one. I personally enjoy this image as much as the prior zone plate shot. However, when I have shown this to an admittedly small number of people they seem to strongly prefer the previous one. The interesting thing is the reason. They all seem to say that this one appears much more abstract and that it is more difficult to tell 'what it is a picture of'. I was a bit surprised as it seems pretty clear to me that it was two children at the water's edge.....but then again, I took it, so perhaps it is a bit more clear to me. What do folks that might be reading this think? Is it too abstract? Is it not clear what it is a picture of? Perhaps in some ways it doesn't really matter, but I would like to get a feel or understanding of what the viewer's experience is like when looking at images like these.

By the way, if anyone is interested in some resources that explain the technical aspects of zone plates, here and here are good places to start. However, I have to admit that at this point I haven't really tried to undertake a scientific understanding of the process in order to manipulate it....I have just been shooting to see what I get and trying to see what types of subjects seem to 'work' well from an artistic standpoint.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both images are fine in my opinion. I don't prefer one over the other, but they do produce a different feel. I have no trouble seeing the children in the 2nd one (this post)and that's what it's about for me, the children. The first one has detail in the sky and beach. Perhaps that's what those who prefer the first one like, more information. I like this second one for the lack of detail other than the children. They can be anywhere my imagination puts them. Also, I should tell you, the taller child was an adult in my mind before I read your explanation.

Interesting are your zone plate experiments! Thanks for the links to more in that area.

Anonymous said...

These are great in my opinion Howard!
In this image posted, ... I guess you could say that it does have a touch of that abstract feel to it, ... just not totally abstract to where one would have a hard time figuring out what it is.
The smooth, soft feel is very appealing to me and the composition is excellent.

Both images are excellent, and if I had to choose one over the other, ... well, ... I can't!

A interesting process, one that I will have to take a further look at for sure.
Thanks for posting these excellent examples!

Michael

Howard Grill said...

Michael and Con, thanks very much for taking the time to comment. I am really interested in and appreciate hearing opinions...either positive or negative

Mark said...

Hmmm, if I had to guess, perhaps it is that in this newer one, the figures and shadows are much less separated than in the first. Although I can easily make out the figures, perhaps not everyone thinks the visual separation is as strong.

I also cannot designate a preference, both wonderful in their own right.

Gary Nylander said...

I think in some cases an image can reach out a grab the viewer in mere seconds, pulling that person in, with the previously posted image which I prefer, there is a more instant recognition, it reaches out and grabs me, the picture is "there"...... with the image with this post, which is also very good, one has to look at little longer to see the two human figures.

Howard Grill said...

Thanks Gary, I appreciate hearing your impression and I do see what you mean.

nemo said...

well done howard

nuff said!

rick byerly

Howard Grill said...

Thanks Rick

nemo said...

"nuff said" didn't cut it though. i really like Dreamscapes #2. the color from that time of day and the "figures" being closer.

rick