Lightroom, that is. I like it. Didn't think I would, but I do. I knew I would end up getting it eventually, so I got it about two or three weeks ago, before the price goes up. Sure, there are lots of thing to not like about it (no need to elaborate on them here) and, more than likely, they will be fixed in future versions. Some argue it wasn't yet ready to be released. It was certainly a pain in the butt to take time out and read the requisite Lightroom book or two to learn how it all comes together.
So why do I like it? I had planned on using it mainly as a digital asset manager, but have fallen in love with the develop module and with develop module presets in particular. Now, I know ACR 4.0 in Photoshop CS3 is going to have the same basic develop module....I don't know if the presets are available in the same way that they are in Lightroom. Maybe someone that already has CS3 can fill me in on that.
So what is so great about presets? I find that they really enhance creativity. How so, you ask. At times I may look at an image and think it would look great in a certain way.....high key, infrared, contrasty black and white.....you get the idea. I know Photoshop on an intermediate level, but not so well that I can just make these things happen the way I previsualize them. There are a fair number of presets available for free on the internet that easily integrate right into Lightroom. When you scroll over them with your mouse (without even clicking) in the Develop module, the effect of the preset is seen in the preview panel in all its glory. You can literally visualize fifty presets in a minute or two.
In my mind, the key here isn't that you choose a preset and that's it. At least that's not what I do. If I have a certain idea in mind, I scroll through the presets and find one that approximates what I am previsualizing and use it as a starting point. It is a lot easier to get to your imagined result when you are starting on the right path. It is as if someone gave you a gentle nudge in the right direction and then, at least with an intermediate knowledge of Photoshop and Lightroom, you can get to where you want to be.
Here is an example of what I am talking about.
Not a bad shot, in my opinion. But it didn't pop; didn't have that something that makes the white tree feel as isolated and, at the same time, unique, as I wanted the image to have. One minute of looking through my preset collection gave me what I needed. A digital infrared treatment and then, in the develop module, I could take it from there. Some changes in exposure value, contrast, and vibrancy after applying the preset brought me to what I think conveys the feeling I was after.
Some may say this is 'cheating'. Then again, some think that any use of Photoshop to enhance an image is cheating. I view it as a tool that is helping me to more efficiently get closer to my vision....if that is cheating, so be it. Besides, cheating at art.....I'm not sure I get that. Perhaps a topic for another post.
So, where does one get these presets? Try here and here.
Yup, it sure isn't perfect, but I am enjoying discovering what it can do and how it can get me to where I want to be!



9 comments:
I like it, too! I used to be a purist when it came to photography, and still am to a large degree, but in recent years have come to see the value of image editing. I haven't had any training either, but just literally play-around and am always fascinated with the results. The results are what teach me how to use it. I call them my 'creative stuff' and some samples can be seen on my other blog, janina's place (latest post called 'Plants--image editing play-around' and the photo album called 'Creative Stuff'. Have a look and let me know what you think, Howard, I'd be interested. Cheers!
Janina, very cool stuff....I was going to comment on the post but you had to log in and I couldn't quite figure out how to join bigblog.....
I like to experiment a lot too usually using plug-ins and actions in PS. I'm not even an intermediate photoshop user, I think :) but I found that fiddling around with various settings does helped me to actually learn through trial and error. I also have a few books on PS but I've only read a little of them being unable to diligently learn step by step. I'm so impatient :)
Only one thing: It seems to me these presets are more like plug-ins and actions in PS, or are they actually better?
Sil, they are very similar, but they can be applied to the RAW data and so are 'less destructive' to the image. In addition, in Lightroom you can make what is termed 'virtual images', so that you can have several copies of an image with little more disk space than the original. Each copy can be treated anyway you like, but they only become 'real' images when exported to Photoshop. Before that they are just xmp sidecar files that record what changes should be applied when exported to become 'real' images..
Also, unlike plug-ins you don't have to actually click and open them up. If you just run your mouse over them you get a preview of what they will do to an image.
I am enjoying using LR as well. It definitely has some quirky things about it, but it is opening up some new ideas for me. I was pretty much a one-by-one image processor in the past. LR allows me to save some work if I can find a global adjustment that can be made. The presets are useful in finding out some hidden possibilities.
Happy Earth Day!
Thanks Howard for clarifying that to me, I know so little about LR. It seems to have some fantastic features.
Hi Howard, Thanks for visiting my bigblog blog. I've tried to leave a comment and find there is a problem, so will get the Telstra boys to fix it and then get back to you. You don't have to join; it's much like Blogger, use the Other button, usually...See ya!
Oh man, I have a week left on the $200 deal on Lightroom and have still not made up my mind whether, or not, it's gonna waggle it's way into my workflow.
Clocks ticking...
Hi Howard, All fixed now, comment away! Choose the Other radio button, and, hey presto!, you're in.
By the way, I've just realised on re-reading my original comment that it could sound as if I also use Lightroom. Well, No, I don't. I don't use Photoshop either. The image editing range of software I play around with is Paint.NET, Serif PhotoPlus8, IrfanView.
The images I refer to in my comment were edited using PhotoPlus8. No presets used on these little beauties, but applied as an effect to the image as a whole, so it's rather rough. As yet, will get around to choosing separate areas of the image to work on, and fine-tune some effects further. But, for now, this will have to do.
Post a Comment