Apr 11, 2007

Integrating Photography Into Life

Lately, and I think it has something to do with warmer weather and the arrival of Spring, I have been feeling, rather strongly, that I am just not getting enough opportunity to do photography. Family and work obligations clearly limit the amount of free time that one has.

Don't get me wrong, the purpose of this post is not to voice complaints. Rather, I have been trying to think about ways that photography can be more easily integrated into the time that one has available. For example, as many of you know, I am a cardiologist practicing in Pittsburgh, PA. However, I spend, on average, one day a week outside of Pittsburgh, seeing patients in a small town in Ohio. I have found myself thinking about the possibility of starting a photographic project there, as it might not be too difficult to spend an hour or so photographing after work and before going home. I have to admit, if I had all the time to photograph that I wanted, that project would probably not make the top of the list, but I am trying to think in a utilitarian way.

Another thought that I had revolves around making images of some older and beautiful buildings near my home.

The mainstay of these ideas is that it would allow me to photograph without the one hour travel time in each direction that has been the case with most of my photographic excursions.

Thinking about these ideas makes me curious as to how others might have tried to integrate photography and photographic projects into their schedules. What has been an effective strategy? What has not worked out well? I would certainly appreciate any insight that people might have about these issues.

10 comments:

Mark said...

This has been the focus of a lot of my recent photographs - being close to home. Driven by lack of time, and some circumstances that are keeping me closer to home of late. I am also trying more with indoor subjects, particularly on rainy days, when time is really limited, or when I just don't feel like trekking out somewhere.

It still doesn't quench the yearning for a week long, photography focused trip to some far away land!

Beau A.C. Harbin said...

I have run into a similar issue. I work out of the house but have to go to the office every few weeks. When I do, I try to get to the office early and wander around the area taking photos and exploring. Since I am not there as often it is not the sameness of being at home. Also, when I am at home, I try to go for a long walk at lunch with my camera and take pictures of things on the trip. Not a great project per se, but I get some exercise and see what is happening in the area. Luckily I leave near a big wooded park so there is always something new to see.

Good luck

Howard Grill said...

Another aspect of the whole limited time issue that I should have mentioned and which was touched upon in the comments a few posts back is the whole issue of 'seriousness'. On these more limited time excursions there tends to be less bringing along of the tripod and setting up etc like I am used to. Given time constraints, most of these types of shots would be handheld....still an issue that I have to get used to...that it doesn't always have to be perfect. One thought that I had to try and help with this is anticipating NOT enlarging any of the shots beyons 11 x 14 max so as not being dissapointed by results that are not superbly sharp from lack of using a tripod.

Mark said...

That would be a tough pill to swallow for me (ie. limiting enlargement potential) Because if I encounter something really cool, I may be thinking of the print, publication, or art potential of the image - I want it to be the best it can possibly be. I would tend to blame myself for not being more prepared. And I suppose therein is a potential problem at being more 'free' in image making. It can be a pretty lofty weight (as you say - gravity) on your shoulders.

Billie Mercer said...

Howard....don't worry about sharp...use a Holga. LOL

Seriously, though, over the last four or five years I've developed several projects that came from close to home and just photographing without a plan. I would pick up the camera and go out in my transitional neighborhood and photograph the old houses. Over time I have quite a stack of images that I like. Another series from a walk close to home along a bayou. Another place I could go for an hour or two. And I started photographing my own garden which lead to other gardens, still most of them close to home.

I also know someone who took their camera with them everynight when he walked his dog and photographed his neighborhood from the dog eye level. Turned out to be a very effective series.

Another photographer I know photographs dinner tables several times a week with an 8x10. He has been doing it for years and years. It has become a social history with some amazing images.

While I can't say I always follow my own advice, I think just do the work and see what happens. Maybe it won't be sharp enough to be printed 20X24 (if sharp is important to you) but maybe it will make a delicious small artist book.

Another thought just occurred to me. Howard, you're a doc. You have to be very goal oriented, very self disciplined to get to where you are today. In my other life I had that too and it has taken years to learn how to "play." I'm still learning. Just go play....

Anonymous said...

I was also short on time for photography, so I took two approaches: 1) I assigned myself a project to create images no more than a 15-minute walk from my house; and 2) I started working slightly longer hours each day at work so that I could book off every second Friday.

The Fridays, in particular, have been a terrific success -- as much for my photography as for my mental health.

Anonymous said...

Hey Howard, I found close-up/ macro photography has open the door to endless images that can be found at the local park systems or your own backyard. You do have to have an eye to work through a lot of the clutter but there are great images to be found. This won't help if your interested in landscapes but it will fill the time between trips to some of the great National Parks we have.

Howard Grill said...

"...if I encounter something really cool, I may be thinking of the print, publication, or art potential of the image - I want it to be the best it can possibly be. I would tend to blame myself for not being more prepared. And I suppose therein is a potential problem at being more 'free' in image making...."


Mark, I am just like you, we would get along very well. And that, of course, has both a good and a bad side. I always feel like if I don't have my best equipment with me it isn't 'as worth doing'. But there is a down side to that as well. I, too, am having difficulty getting over this hump.


Billie has some very wise advice, having managed to get over the hump "...Just go play......."

Howard Grill said...

Good point Mike. And I do love the macros you have on your site!

George Barr said...

Like Mike, I take every second Friday off - great for photographing. I'm off tomorrow and heading to the badlands to photograph. Being on call is how I got started photographing industrial stuff in town. Sounds like a good excuse to pick up a light weight tripod and a small bag, for a body and two lens outfit, or a used Mamiya 7 if into film.

George